KITA is a licensed provider of CMIT, a flexible 64-hour training program that surpasses the recommended national training standards and requirements for national certification for Medical/Healthcare Interpreters.
CMIT has been fully developed by and for interpreters. With more than 35 years of collective experience in the field of interpreting and interpreting training, the CMIT authors put emphasis in the development of the basic interpreting skills and learning of specialized medical terminology.
The CMIT textbook helps students learn a wide variety of skills, techniques, and strategies to handle basic and difficult scenarios in different healthcare settings.
The CMIT Workbook for Medical Interpreters provides a simple way of learning medical terminology, and exposes students to the daily nuances of the English and healthcare basic and technical languages that may present difficulties when interpreting in specialized settings.
Although the CMIT program is primarily intended for spoken languages, it provides American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters specialization training.
Individuals interested in taking this course first must pass a third-party bilingual fluency assessment (BFA). Click here to register (see below for instructions). The results of the language assessment are yours to keep. The price of the language assessment typically varies from $135 to $145, depending on the working language being evaluated. You can pay for/register for the BFA at any time and then send the results to the email below.
The price of the CMIT course is $450. Scholarships based on financial need may be available. Students who attend all the hours of classroom training, complete the online portion AND receive a passing score of 70% or higher on their final exam will receive a certificate of completion.
See our Events page to find out when the next class will be held in your area.
Instructions for Registering for Bilingual Fluency Assessment
- Click on link.
- Create a new account.
- Submit new request.
- Add test.
- Choose non English language from drop down.
- Test type: choose Bilingual Fluency Assessment or eBFA Online 24/7. Not all languages are included in Online. The Bilingual Fluency Assessment is for all languages that LanguageLine supports and costs $145. It is done by a live examiner at an arranged time. You may have to pay again if you don’t get on the call at the arranged time. The eBFA costs $135. You can take it at any time from your computer. Choose eBFA if it’s possible when we need the results as soon as possible.
- Test type standard unless this is a retest for you.
- Enter your name and email.
- Confirm that you have selected the correct exam and click on Add Test.
- Go to My Test Cart.
- Click on Proceed at the bottom.
- Choose payment type charge to credit card.
- Click on link to form to fill out for payment.
- Choose under Test/Training Type either Bilingual Fluency Assessment $145 or eBFA $135.
- Enter credit card information.
You will receive instructions via email from Language Line within 24 hours